Since speaking is an essential part of a second language learning, effective communication in a second language is very important in all spheres of life. To acquire fluency in target language, for example in English, teachers and students need to pay great attention to meaningful communication as more as possible. With this aim, various speaking activities can contribute a great deal to students in developing basic interactive skills necessary for life. These activities make the students more active and enthusiastic in learning process and at the same time, make their learning more effective and fun for them.
Speaking out loud in front of others, especially in a second or foreign language like English, can be nerve-wracking for anyone. That is why, it is important to follow some tips or means for achieving the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English. Students can be given some tasks that foster critical thinking and quick decision making.
Here are some important points for speaking English which can be helpful for the students:
- First of all, students have to learn the vocabulary that they need in speaking activity. Students can be provided a list of words related with a given topic and then encourage them to speak, to discuss with their partners, to share their opinions and ideas.
- There is no need to correct students’ pronunciation and grammatical mistakes while they are speaking. Correction will distract the student from his or her speech.
- On a given topic, students can produce ideas in a limited time. Depending on the context, either individual or group, brainstorming is effective and learners generate ideas quickly and freely. Looking at these type of pictures, students can generate the ideas of their childhood memories and share in groups.
- Students can be given Information Gap activity which is supposed to be working in pairs. One student will have the information that other partner does not have and the partners will share their information. Here each partner plays an important role because the task cannot be completed if the partners do not provide the information the others need. These activities are effective because everybody has the opportunity to talk extensively in the target language.
- Students can stand in front of the class in pairs/groups and share their ideas by completing the gaps given in the pictures.
These are some of the strategies by which students can be able to share their views and opinions in English for effective communication and build confidence in themselves. They will also learn how to express themselves in polite ways while disagreeing with others.
To sum up, English is spoken all over the world and nowadays in Communicative Language Teaching, emphasis is given on learning to communicate in the target language instead of emphasizing the mastery of grammar.